Creators Syndicate president Jack Newcombe was the second speaker. In what I’m assuming was a grab the audience’s attention, he told us he was going to talk about pirates, porn and ________. It got my attention, but only 2/3 of it. “Did he just say porn?” By the time I refocused, I missed the third intended topic.
- Pirates don’t follow the rules. They’re different. Creators Syndicate is a pirate
- We’re in the middle of digital revolution. Newspaper will be profitable for number of years, but is on a terminal decline. Embrace it and move on
- Change can create an irrational fear of loss. 2012 will be hard for a lot of people; there will be pain and nostalgia for a different era
- Creators is in its 25th year and having the best year ever. They’ve doubled their sales staff
- His father, Rick Newcombe, decided to start a syndicate that gave the copyrights to the creators
- The 2008 recession hit and many newspapers had borrowed too much in good times. It was a blow for the industry.
- There is hope. Porn!
- In 1969 the US Supreme Court ruled on porn. When asked to define it, one of the justices said, “I know it when I see it”
- We’re in entertainment business. What’s funny? “I don’t know, but I know it when I see it”
- There is no formula for success. The only way to get better at something is to do it over and over again
- When doing something creative, there is no standard for success except your own
- In the future Creators will use different mediums to distribute work
- They’re getting into the ebook business, podcasting and a comedy site to promote their cartoonists
- Asked about their submission process: All submissions are read by 2-3 people. If good, goes on to editors and if enough like it, the offer a development contract
- Creators will roll out a new comic website. Better than GoComics. It will be cool. Have a business model. It will serve the same purpose of as comics in newspapers
2 thoughts on “Success in Comics: Creator Syndicate President Jack Newcombe”
Hope the new site will be like the ‘old’ old comics.com site. That was COOL and way easy to use.
You had me at porn.
Comments are closed.