Here’s a run-down of what we are learning of yesterday’s failed shooting of the Draw the Prophet event in Garland, TX
- Probably not surprising, the event organizers
- ABCNews is reporting that the FBI is searching an apartment in Phoenix AZ for clues in last nights shootings. The FBI is calling the resident of the apartment a subject of an investigation. The “man was convicted five years ago of lying to federal agents about plans to travel to Africa.
- New York Times: One of the gunmen’s identities as been released. His name is Elton Simpson. As I noted last night, the first reference to this failed shooting was a tweet with the phrase “May Allah accept us as mujahideen.” The date/time for that tweet would have been before the shooting started. The NYTimes has connected that Twitter account to Simpson.
- More details are coming out about the organization, American Freedom Defense Initiative, who created this event in Texas and the woman, Pamella Geller, who leads it. The Washington Post has background information on Geller and her controversial past. CNN is also reporting some of the group’s ideas and principles.
- The Southern Poverty Law Center lists the American Freedom Defense Initiative as an anti-Islamic hate group.
Updated as new information is release.