Kicking off a year-long series of events celebrating Peanuts’ 60th Anniversary in 2010, Peanuts announces the launch of its first-ever PEANUTS 60th Anniversary Photo Look-A-Like Contest, which will benefit Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Peanuts fans of all ages are invited to submit photos of themselves or their children looking like one of these Peanuts characters: Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus, Sally, Schroeder, Franklin, Peppermint Patty, Marcie or Pigpen, or one of Snoopy’s classic alter-egos, Joe Cool or the World War I Flying Ace. Submissions will be accepted through November 3.
Finalists, selected by a panel of celebrity judges, will be posted on November 11. The public will then be able to vote for their favorite finalist through November 30. The winners will be announced in December.
The celebrity judges include Jill Schulz, daughter of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz; country music legends Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood; “Supernanny” Jo Frost; “America’s Next Top Model” judge and fashion photographer Nigel Barker; and Victoria Reca~no, co-anchor of KTLA 5 News at 6 and KTLA 5 News at 10.
“Throughout the years, the Peanuts gang has given people a sense of belonging-we can all identify with one or more of the characters and their life lessons,” says Jill Schulz. “This contest gives participants a chance to express their ‘inner Snoopy,’ so to speak, and I’m really looking forward to reviewing all the pictures and stories from our Peanuts fans around the country.”
The grand-prize winner will receive an all-expenses-paid family adventure for four to Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio (home to Planet Snoopy). Other prizes include a collection of Warner Home Video PEANUTS DVDs and a Peanuts holiday tree and ornament collection from Hallmark Gold Crown.
Offering inspiration to contest entrants (including caption and costume ideas) – and amusement to everyone who visits the contest website-a Celebrity Look-A-Like Gallery features film, television, music and sports stars who have an uncanny similarity to a Peanuts character…whether in looks, talent or attitude! The famous Look-a-Likes were chosen by the Peanuts team for their “resemblance” to a particular character, and all the stars were delighted to participate.
“I wasn’t entirely by surprised when I learnt that the Peanuts team had selected me as their Charlie Brown look-alike, since the comparison had been made several times before,” says Simon Pegg, (“Star Trek,” “Shaun of the Dead”). “I even have a Charlie Brown yellow t-shirt with black zig zags, bought for me by a friend who was of the same opinion. Now I guess it’s official. Word had come from the very top and who am I to argue. I look like Charlie Brown. Good Grief.”
The Celebrity Look-a-Likes are:
Charlie Brown, the underdog in the zig-zag shirt who never gives up:
* Simon Pegg (“Star Trek,” “Shaun of the Dead”)-chosen for his delightful comic befuddlement.
Snoopy, the imaginative beagle who ponders life from the top of his doghouse:
* Will Ferrell (“Land of the Lost,” “Blades of Glory”)-chosen for his Snoopy-like mastery of disguise…and his ability to make millions laugh.
Lucy, who dispenses advice from her 5-cent psychiatrist’s booth:
* Debi Mazar (“Dancing with the Stars,” “Entourage”)-chosen for her outspoken, opinionated charm.
Linus, the blanket-clutching philosopher who believes firmly in the Great Pumpkin:
* Michael Cera (“Paper Hearts,” “Juno”)-chosen for his sweetly innocent philosophical humor.
Sally, Charlie Brown’s little sister, who’s (nearly) right about everything:
* Kristin Chenoweth (Tony winner for playing Sally in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” on Broadway; Emmy winner for “Pushing Daisies”)-chosen for her Sally-like perkability and adorable self-confidence.
Peppermint Patty, who never met a school day she didn’t hate:
* Shawn Johnson (gold medal-winning Olympic gymnast; winner of last season’s “Dancing with the Stars”)-chosen for her fun and funny attitude, and her fearlessness on the field of play.
Marcie, Peppermint Patty’s loyal sidekick, who’s smarter than Patty realizes:
* Tina Fey (Emmy-winning star and creator of “30 Rock”)-chosen for her smarts, her humor, and her great look in glasses.
Pigpen, who travels with his own cloud of dust:
* Mike Rowe (“Dirty Jobs”)-chosen for being completely at ease while surrounded by dirt.
Schroeder, the mini musical genius who is rarely separated from his piano:
* Harry Connick Jr. (Grammy-winning artist, Emmy-winning and Tony-nominated actor)-chosen for being a heartthrob at the keyboard.
Franklin, perhaps the only one who never has an unkind word about Charlie Brown:
* Usher (Grammy-nominated artist)-chosen for his gentlemanly ways.
World War I Flying Ace, Snoopy’s dashing aviator persona:
* Chesley Sullenberger III (heroic captain of US Airways flight 1549, which landed safely in New York’s Hudson River)-chosen for his high-flying style.
Joe Cool, Snoopy’s sunglasses-wearing ultra suave alter ego:
* Seth Green (actor and creator of the super-cool “Robot Chicken” series)-chosen for representing a new form of 21st-century cool.
Woodstock, Snoopy’s trusty yellow-feathered friend.
* Whoopi Goldberg (Oscar winner for “Ghost,” co-host of “The View”)-chosen for her distinctive hairstyle, flashing dark eyes…and chirpy personality?