In the Great News category is The Minneapolis Star Tribune looking to replace retired editorial cartoonist Steve Sack. When Steve retired in February 2022 The Star Tribune said no decision had been made on whether to replace the paper’s staff cartoonist.
Well a decision has now been made and it is the correct one.
The Star Tribune, a Pulitzer Prize-winning, locally owned newsroom, is looking for a full-time Editorial Cartoonist to join the Star Tribune Opinion/Editorial team.
From the job opportunity ad for a full time editorial cartoonist:
What you’ll be doing:
- Offering editors five or more original and engaging editorial cartoons each week for publication in print and online.
- Staying up-to-date on developments in the news and popular culture in Minnesota and beyond.
- Participating in daily Editorial Board discussions.
- Interacting with readers by responding to email, voicemail and social media posts.
- Making occasional public appearances.
- Helping editors choose syndicated cartoons for publication.
- Newsroom experience, preferably in editorial roles (but surprise us if you’ve done other related work!)
- Experience as an editorial cartoonist is preferred.
- Strong instincts and a passion for depicting stories that engage, inform and delight our audience.
- A strategic mind who is eager to experiment to find what resonates with various audiences.
- A track record of building audience through strategy and/or initiatives.
Pay for this [union] position ranges from $55,685.24 to $77,880.92 a year, depending on experience.
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with free gym access to Capella Tower Health Club in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; flexible, hybrid work; competitive medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance; paid time off; parenting leave; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; pet insurance; wellness benefits; flexible spending accounts; and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune.